Reverse the Cuts to the Salmonid Enhancement Program
BREAKING NEWS: we have heard that MP Terry Beech just announced at the Fisheries & Oceans Standing Committee that the gov’t will reverse the cuts to the Salmon Enhancement Program, including the Stream to Sea (Salmonid in the Classroom) Program.
This is great news and is a result of so many people taking the time to contact the Prime Minister, Minister of Fisheries, and their Members of Parliament. The outcry was huge and it worked. Whether it was through the online tool that was previously on this page or by writing your own letters and making your own calls, thanks to all who worked so passionately on this!
Stay tuned for more information on this important issue. In the meantime, we will keep the following background and resources posted right here.
- Letter from Watershed Watch Salmon Society to Minister LeBlanc
- Watershed Watch Salmon Society update after the funding announcement
- Pacific Streamkeepers Federation website and Facebook page where the latest information on this issue is being shared
- House of Commons E-Petition to restore funding to the SEP
- Change.org petition Save The Salmonids in the Classroom Program for Schools Across BC!
- Postcard template to send to Prime Minister if you desire
- Recent media:
- Local conservationists angered by cuts to fish programs (The Squamish Chief, May 26, 2017)
- Fisheries’ axe to salmon programs in freshwater alarms stream-enhancement groups (Vancouver Sun, May 27, 2017)
- Critic warns loss of Coast Guard dive-rescue team in Richmond could cost lives (Vancouver Sun, May 27, 2017)
- ‘It’s deeply troubling': critics decry federal cuts to salmon education programs in B.C. (CBC, May 31, 2017)
- Salmon enhancement volunteers decry DFO cuts (Global News, May 30, 2017)
- DFO announces changes to B.C. funding (Global News, May 31, 2017)
- Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc responds to criticism surrounding changes to salmon in the classroom program in B.C. (CBC, May 31, 2017)
- Disarray at DFO as groups decry cuts to fish programs: MP Goldsmith-Jones vows to take action for Sea to Sky salmon (Pique News, June 1, 2017)
- B.C. to benefit from Oceans Protection Plan which includes boost to Fisheries Department, coast guard (Vancouver Sun, June 1, 2017)
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada cutting Salmonid Enhancement Programs (Houston Today, June 6, 2017)
- Federal fisheries funding is no help given cuts locally, say conservationists (Squamish Chief, June 7, 2017)
- Salmonids in the Classroom Gets Reprieve (Prince George Citizen, June 7, 2017)