Help make 2017 a good year for BC’s wild salmon!
Tired of the commercialisation of the holidays? Stuck on what to get a nature lover on your list? Looking for a gift that keeps on giving? A donation to Watershed Watch Salmon Society may be just what you’re looking for.
2016 was a big year for us. We faced down some serious challenges, and we made some serious progress. Thanks to generous support from our donors, and partnering with our allies, Watershed Watch did the following:
- Held the federal government to account on their election commitments for wild salmon—especially their promise to act on the recommendations of the $37 million Cohen Inquiry
- Kept you informed about the biggest impacts to our wild salmon and what you could do to help
- Stood up for salmon in consultations on the Fisheries Act, Navigable Waters Protection Act, Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, and regulations on charities and political activities
- Took a firm stand against proposed weakening of Canada’s Wild Salmon Policy
- Launched two new major campaigns – Connected Waters and Safe Passage for Salmon.
- Participated in several advisory processes on watershed and fishery management
- Secured federal commitments to restore salmon habitat as part of the Oceans Protection Plan
- Spurred Fisheries and Oceans Canada to deliver the strongest enforcement of fishing regulations we have ever seen on BC’s north coast
- Supported important salmon science initiatives at the University of BC, Thompson Rivers University, and Simon Fraser University
- Pushed for strong implementation of BC’s Water Sustainability Act, which came into force this year
- Supported First Nations developing highly selective and sustainable salmon fisheries in their territories, with major successes for the Lake Babine Nation in particular
- Built our volunteer base and had more face-to-face engagement with citizens than ever before
- And much more that you can read about in our 2016 annual report which will be released in the New Year!
We accomplished a lot, but our to-do lists are full, and we need your help to keep the momentum going in 2017! Last year’s annual fundraising campaign was our best one yet, and it’s what helped make 2016 a success. Let’s make this one even better and give our salmon all the help we can in the New Year.