Volunteers Needed! Get involved with Watershed Watch this Fall!
Want to get involved with Watershed Watch and help in our efforts to conserve B.C.’s wild salmon? We are looking for volunteers for the months of September, October and November in a number of roles:
- Co-host our table at a community event in the lower mainland (September)
- Conduct our Watershed Watch Salmon Survey at specific locations across B.C. or in your home community (September-October)
- Enter survey data (November)
Contact Lina (email@example.com) to get involved. Details on the volunteer activities are below.
Community Events (September)
We are attending numerous community events from Sept 19 – 27 and looking for volunteers to welcome people to our display and represent Watershed Watch. All events are in the lower mainland.
- Training will be provided; no one will be thrown into an unfamiliar situation.
- All events will have at least one Watershed Watch staff person on site.
- We need people who can commit to attending at least one community event and stay for the duration of the event including set up and take down.
- Volunteers will be provided a Watershed Watch t-shirt, breaks and the opportunity to switch roles throughout the day.
- General table hosting (one volunteer + one Watershed Watch staff member)
- Welcome people to our table, engage in friendly conversation about the event and salmon, and invite them to participate in an activity and peruse the items we have on display.
- Distribute Watershed Watch brochures and stickers.
- Encourage people to sign up to our list.
- Answer questions about the organization and issues we are working on (you will be provided with training and reading materials).
- Encourage people to take our Salmon Survey.
- Salmon fishing game (One person – staff or volunteer)
- Encourage children and adults alike to play the Salmon Fishing Game.
- You will be trained on the game and its simple rules.
- Roaming surveyors (Two people)
- Approach event attendees about taking the Salmon Survey and collect survey information.
- Saturday September 19 – GETI Fest @ Peace Park, Maple Ridge (10-3pm)
- Sunday September 20 – FraserFEST @ Colony Farm Park, Coquitlam (3-7pm)
- Thursday September 24 – FraserFEST @ Fraser Discover Center, New Westminster (5-8:30pm)
- Saturday September 26 – FraserFEST @ False Creek Fisherman’s Wharf, Vancouver (3-7pm)
- Saturday September 26 – Burrard Inlet Fish Fest @ Rocky Point Park, Port Moody (10am – 6pm) → only roaming surveyors needed at this event
- Sunday September 27 – FraserFEST @ Cates Park, North Vancouver (11-4pm)
- Sunday September 27 – Bliss Fest @ Lion’s Peace Park, Port Coquitlam (10am – 2pm)
Surveyors across B.C (September – October)
Do you want an excuse to hang out by water and talk with people in your community about wild salmon?
We are launching a B.C. wide survey this Fall and we need keen, friendly, enthusiastic volunteers to get outside and speak to people by your local waterways. You will take the survey out to pre-determined locations and survey people on the topics of salmon, water and their concerns. You’ll need to be a good listener and a help people feel comfortable about giving their opinions.
We will identify survey locations on a one-on-one basis depending on the location of our volunteers.
Volunteers will need access to a vehicle to get to and from survey locations.
You will be provided with a Watershed Watch t-shirt.
Ideal locations include:
- Metro Vancouver (6 people)
- Fraser Valley (6 people)
- Victoria (4 people)
- Other locations across B.C.
- Ideally, 8 – 20 hours between mid-September to end of October (equivalent to 2 – 5 days, 4 hours/day), but we’d appreciate any and all contributions
Survey Data Entry (October – November)
Once the surveys are complete and we have received the responses, we will need volunteers who are keen to input all answers into a simple online spreadsheet.
The time requirement will depend on the number of surveys received.
Contact Lina (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get involved.
Your support during this very busy time is greatly appreciated! Get to know us and the work we do by becoming part of our core volunteer team this fall!