Watershed Watch co-sponsors SFU’s presentation Charting a Course of Action on Cohen Commission Recommendations
Watershed Watch Salmon Society is a proud participant and co-sponsor of Simon Fraser University’s Speaking for the Salmon free public lecture Fraser Sockeye Salmon: An Uncertain Future – Charting a Course of Action on Cohen Commission Recommendations.
Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 7:00PM
SFU Harbour Centre, 515 West Hastings, Room 1420
The federal Cohen Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye in the Fraser River was established in November 2009 and released its final report, containing 75 recommendations, in October 2012. Upon release of the report, Commissioner Bruce Cohen stated, “I trust that my report will contribute to an improved understanding of Fraser River sockeye salmon, and that my recommendations will improve the future sustainability of the sockeye salmon fishery in the Fraser River.” (http://www.cohencommission.ca)
An international Scientists Think Tank will meet at Simon Fraser University on Feb 25 and 26 to review the status of Fraser sockeye, and specific recommendations with respect to the Wild Salmon Policy, habitat protection, the impact of aquaculture on Fraser sockeye, and information and research gaps, among other topics.
A panel of these scientists will present their findings to the public on February 27, 2013 and address the following questions:
- What is the timeline for the implementation of the recommendations?
- Does the Precautionary Principle call for any immediate regulatory changes to protect Fraser River sockeye and other Pacific salmon populations?
- Are there any scientific or technical impediments to fast-tracking the implementation of the Wild Salmon Policy?
- What is our collective capacity to monitor habitat and ecosystem indicators?
- Why is it important to preserve the genetic diversity of Fraser sockeye?
- What climate change considerations are important for Fraser River sockeye?
The panelists include:
- Dr. John Reynolds, Tom Buell Chair in Salmon Conservation, Simon Fraser University (Moderator),
- Dr. Martin Krkosek, Assistant Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Toronto,
- Dr. Craig Orr, Executive Director, Watershed Watch Salmon Society,
- Dr. Brian Riddell, CEO, Pacific Salmon Foundation,
- And others.