New research indicates risks of hatcheries to wild salmon
A special edition of Environmental Biology of Fishes has been released containing more than 20 studies that indicate that hatchery raised salmon are harming wild salmon as they compete for food and habitat. For more information, see the media below as well as the abstracts for the papers available on the State of the Salmon website.
- FIS World News, May 15, 2012, Hatchery salmon threaten wild salmon survival: studies
- Summit County Citizens Voice, May 15, 2012, Biodiversity: Hatchery salmon hurting wild populations
- UPI, May 14, 2012, Increase in hatchery salmon brings concern
- Phys.org, May 14, 2012, Growing risks from hatchery fish
- Cordova Times, May 14, 2012, Studies suggest growing risks from hatchery fish
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, May 13, 2012, New Research: Hatchery Salmon Posing Problems For Wild Stocks