Water opinion poll reveals wide public support for protecting water,rivers, and wild salmon
Water identified as most important resource: But is Government willing to act?
Watershed Watch Salmon Society is pointing to an opinion poll released today by McAllister Opinion Research group which indentifies overwhelming public support for better protection of water, natural ecosystems and wild salmon. The McAllister poll interviewed 835 British Columbians from October 25 – 31, 2010, and found that:
- 98% of British Columbians feel fresh water is crucial to the prosperity and quality of life in BC.
- 87% rate overuse of water by commercial and industrial users as a major or moderate threat.
- 88% are concerned about impacts of water shortages to streams, rivers and salmon habitat.
- 94% favour ensuring that the protection of nature, wildlife and species like salmon are always top priority.
- 72% say Nature should be the priority for managing water use during times of water scarcity—even if it slows economic growth.